Embedded Software Intern
Lux Aerobot is a space robotics company creating a predictive digital twin of the Earth’s surface using high-altitude long-endurance stratospheric balloons. Using the data collected, useful insights are produced using machine learning allowing for predictive analysis and insight.
We are seeking an Embedded Software Developer to help with the development of our avionics firmware for our high-altitude gondolas. This task includes writing the firmware to integrate sensors, actuators, and communications subsystems into a safe and reliable platform capable of operating in the stratosphere.
Working at Lux is different from other companies. Our staff gets to step away from the desk and work hands-on to develop and test industry-leading solutions for our clients—both nationally and internationally. As a result of the pandemic and the distributed nature of our team, the position will have a remote work component but for final integration, it is expected that it will need to be completed in one of our main sites. In this role, you will join our engineering team and will be taking projects from concept to completion.
Our ideal candidate is an independent and driven individual who shares our passion for aerospace. The following is a list of responsibilities and the preferred skills set we foresee being the best fit; however, if you feel you can accomplish the duties associated with the role we want to hear from you!
- Develop robust firmware and software for the safe and efficient operation of the next generation Lux balloon fleet
- Lead the development of software architecture, detailed design, implementation, unit & integration testing, deployment and maintenance of firmware
- Assist with the development of hardware, payload integration and testing.
- Participation in balloon launching campaigns
- Collaborate remotely on engineering tasks with team members around the world
Skills and Qualifications
The applicant must meet the following requirements:
- In the process of completing a bachelor’s degree in engineering or computer science or some form of embedded software development training program;
- Experience in C/C++ and embedded firmware development;
- A basic understanding of digital electronics;
- Experience writing code to interface with hardware devices;
Applicants that meet the following requirements are preferred:
- Experience with working with balloons, aircraft, or other aerospace projects
- Demonstrable experience developing on STM or other Microcontrollers
- Demonstrable experience developing on Linux with limited resources software on Nvidia platforms, Google Coral or others
- Deployment of AI models on Linux based systems
- Experience working with ROS or a similar embedded middleware;
- Fluent in Python.