Lux Aerobot is a space robotics company creating a predictive digital twin of the Earth’s surface using high-altitude long-endurance stratospheric balloons. Using the data collected, useful insights are produced using machine learning, allowing for predictive analysis and insight.
We are currently seeking several engineering interns to work in the development, testing and integration of our Earth Observation (EO) payload systems. The ideal candidate is independent, motivated, adaptable in the way they work and comfortable in a dynamic environment. Exact duties for each role will be assigned based on the individual’s interests, background, and skillset.
Working at Lux is different from other companies. Our staff gets to step away from the desk and work hands-on to develop and test industry-leading solutions for our clients—both nationally and internationally.
Our ideal candidate is an independent and driven individual who shares our passion for aerospace. The following is a list of responsibilities and the preferred skill set we foresee as being the best fit. However, if you feel you can accomplish the duties associated with the role, we want to hear from you!
- Assembly and integration of payload systems
- Design of payload enclosures and mechanical hardware interfaces
- Development of mechatronic systems for attitude determination and control
- Develop, test, and deploy payload and attitude control system software on embedded targets
- Develop, test, and deploy machine vision camera software on host targets
- Build simulation environments to collect simulated image data
- Develop image processing pipelines to bring data from image to actionable insight
- Deploy data processing software to onboard computing systems
- Interface flight hardware with testing systems
- Participation in balloon launch campaigns
Skills and Qualifications
- Proven track-record of project completion from design to deployment. This could include professional or personal projects.
- Exceptional analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities
- Strong interdisciplinary communication skills
- Familiarity with basic mechanical design concepts
- Experience developing in C/C++ and Python
- Familiarity with embedded communications protocols
- Experience writing code to interface with hardware devices
- Experience working with geospatial data
- Experience working with balloons, aircraft, rockets, or other aerospace systems
- Experience working with Fusion 360
- Familiarity with design for manufacturing
- Experience with sensor fusion for closed loop control systems
- Experience working with gimbals and other mechatronic systems
- Hands-on experience working with optical systems
- Experience writing code to interface with machine vision hardware
- Experience developing on STM or other microcontrollers
- Experience developing on Linux with limited hardware resources
- Experience working with ROS or a similar embedded middleware
- Experience working with satellite imagery
- Experience developing on NVIDIA GPUs or similar high performance computing systems (NVIDIA Jetson platforms)
- Working knowledge of Unreal 5 or a similar game and simulation engine
Even if your profile does not exactly match the job description posted, we will still be happy to analyze your application to see if it is suitable.