Lux Aerobot is a space robotics company creating a predictive digital twin of the Earth’s surface using a high-altitude platform consisting of long-endurance stratospheric balloons. Using the data collected, useful insights are produced using machine learning allowing for predictive analysis and insight.
We are seeking two Mechanical Engineering Interns to help drive our design, analysis, testing, and deployment work. In this role, you will join our innovation team, managing projects from concept to completion. From day one, our engineers step away from the desk and have the chance to work hands-on to develop, test industry-leading solutions for our clients—both nationally and internationally. Our ideal candidate is an independent and driven individual who shares our passion for space and solving some of the world’s most pressing issues through technology.
- Full-time paid internship
- Quebec City, Canada or Melbourne, Australia are preferred; or remote.
- Starting in January 2022
- Design of mechanical parts, mechanisms, and systems for high-altitude balloons;
- Validation and optimization of design through FEA and hand calculations using principles of solid mechanics, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics;
- Integration of sensors, antennas, cameras, and other hardware alongside our electrical and software engineers to ensure optimal performance during launch, operation, and recovery of our payloads;
- Develop and execute testing of prototypes for aerospace conditions;
- Assist in the maintenance of documentation on the system in adherence to local high-altitude ballooning standards;
- Lead vehicle build and assembly testing for upcoming launches;
- Coordinate with local and international suppliers to order and integrate both custom and off-the-shelf components;
- Assist in flight operations including launch protocols, execution and recovery.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Working towards a bachelor’s degree in mechanical, aerospace, industrial, mechatronics engineering or related field;
- Previous internship or student team experience in mechanical engineering design;
- Proven track record of project completion from design to deployment;
- Strong 3D and 2D CAD experience (SolidWorks preferred);
- Hands-on experience in prototyping, machining, and physical assembly;
- Familiarity with FEA and other analytical tools (MATLAB, Excel, etc.);
- Knowledge of aerospace concepts and ability to apply them to design efforts;
- Strong interdisciplinary communication skills;
- Effective in remote work;
- Supplier relations and supply chain management experience;
- Capable of quickly root-causing problems and iterating through rapid changes;
- Test preparation, execution, and evaluation experience.
Bonus Skills and Qualifications
- Strong FEA experience (thermal, structural, dynamic, etc.);
- Experience in project management and leading technical teams;
- Hardware integration and electronics thermal analysis;
- Mechatronics experience in automating mechanisms.
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working hours
- Opportunity to contribute early product development across multiple disciplines