Lux Aerobot is a space robotics company creating a predictive digital twin of the Earth’s surface using high-altitude long-endurance stratospheric balloons. Using the data collected, useful insights are produced using machine learning allowing for predictive analysis and insight.
We are seeking a Mechanical Technician to help drive our assembly and testing as well as be heavily involved in the design and development of our next-generation balloon platforms. In this role, you will join our innovation team, helping to develop projects from concept to completion.
Working at Lux is different from other companies. Our staff gets to step away from the desk and work hands-on to develop and test industry-leading solutions for our clients—both nationally and internationally. As a result of the pandemic and the distributed nature of our team, the position will have a remote work component but as this position requires working directly with the hardware, access to the lab for 3D printing components and final assembly is also a requirement.
Our ideal candidate is an independent and driven individual who shares our passion for aerospace. The following is a list of responsibilities and the preferred skills set we foresee being the best fit; however, if you feel you can accomplish the duties associated with the role we want to hear from you!
- Full-time position
- Location: Québec City, preferred
- Starting in Quarter 1 of 2022
- Coordinate with local and international suppliers to order and integrate both custom and off-the-shelf components
- Lead vehicle fabrication, assembly and testing for the Lux fleet of balloons
- Develop and execute testing of prototypes for aerospace conditions
- Developing and implementing mechanical maintenance plans
- Assist with installation of sensors, antennas, cameras, and other hardware alongside our electrical and software engineers
- Assist in the maintenance of documentation on the system in adherence to local and international high altitude ballooning standards
- Assisting the engineering team with the mechanical design of high-altitude platforms
- Troubleshooting mechanical malfunctions and breakdowns, as well as performing repairs
- Documenting processes and maintaining mechanical service records.
- Monitoring the availability of parts and replenishing supplies
Skills and Qualifications
- Is a maker at heart
- Experience in prototyping, and physical assembly of mechanical and electrical systems
- Proven track record of project completion from design to deployment
- Strong interdisciplinary communication skills
- Effective in remote work
- Exceptional analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Great organizational and time management abilities.
- Willingness to work outside of business hours to accommodate staff in other time zones and assist at launches that typically happen early in the morning
- Knowledge of aerospace concepts and ability to apply them to design efforts
- Has or is in the process of acquiring an Aircraft Maintenance Technician certification
- Experience with working with balloons, aircraft,or other aerospace projects
- Experience working with sheet metal or composite construction techniques
- Experience with 3D modelling
- Supplier relations and supply chain management experience
- Exposure to 3D printing and operating 3D printers
- Working towards a technologist or bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering or related field
- Competitive salary
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn’t a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great companies all over the world and you’ll constantly get to interact with people from these companies
How to apply
If you have an interest in joining Lux, please apply using our form on the right with your resume, a motivational statement and an overview of one of your own projects in the Additional comments box. Even if the role description does not exactly match, we are more than happy to assess if your profile fits.