Lux Aerobot is a space robotics company creating a predictive digital twin of the Earth’s surface using high-altitude long-endurance stratospheric balloons. Using the data collected, useful insights are produced using machine learning, allowing for predictive analysis and insight.
We are currently seeking a mechatronics technician to work on the manufacturing and integration of our platform, flight control, and data acquisition systems ahead of several exciting flight demonstrations in mid and late 2024. The ideal candidate is independent, motivated, adaptable in the way they work and comfortable in a dynamic environment.
Working at Lux is different from other companies. Our staff gets to step away from the desk and work hands-on to develop and test industry-leading solutions for our clients—both nationally and internationally.
Our ideal candidate is an independent and driven individual who shares our passion for aerospace. The following is a list of responsibilities and the preferred skill set we foresee as being the best fit. However, if you feel you can accomplish the duties associated with the role, we want to hear from you!
- Assemble electronics components including cables, harnesses, printed circuit boards, and battery packs
- Assemble high-altitude platform structure and enclosures
- Commission computers and flight controllers after assembly for testing
- Manufacture gondola and enclosure components
- Write assembly instructions and manufacturing procedures based on established internal practices
- Suggest improvements to part design to enhance manufacturability and reduce assembly time
- Recommission high-altitude platforms after recovery
Skills and Qualifications
- A proven track record of project completion through deployment. This could include professional or personal projects.
- Exceptional analytical, critical thinking, and problem solving abilities
- Pursuing a post-secondary degree in electrical or mechanical engineering technology at a trade school or CEGEP or in electrical or mechanical engineering
- Proficient in soldering through-hole and surface-mounted electronic components, with expertise in both hand soldering and reflow techniques.
- Strong interdisciplinary communication skills
- Experience working with balloons, aircraft, rockets, or other aerospace systems
- Proficiency with additive manufacturing techniques, especially FDM 3D printing
- Experience molding plastics, particularly latex and synthetic rubbers
- Experience assembling PCBs
Even if your profile does not exactly match the job description posted, we will still be happy to analyze your application to see if it is suitable.